Log In | Contact Us| View Cart (0)
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

School of Religious Education (1953-1983) | Southern Baptist Theological Seminary Archives

Name: School of Religious Education (1953-1983)


Historical Note: The School of Religious Education was established as a distinct school within the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in 1953. The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary was the first school of it's kind to offer regular credit courses in the field of religious education. The Basil Manly Chair of Religious Education was established in 1906. The courses taught in the Department of Religious Education provided training for students to become professional educators equipped to lead in churches and the Southern Baptist Convention. The Department of Religious Education expanded into a distinct school within the seminary in 1953. The School of Religious Education absorbed the Carver School of Missions and Social Work (formerly the Woman's Missionary Union Training School)  ten years later in 1963 and began offering social work courses in addition to religious education coursework. In 1984, The School of Religious Education was renamed the School of Christian Education. In the same year, the Carver School of Church Social Work was established as a distinct school within the seminary and the School of Christian Education ceased offering social work courses.
Sources: Southern Seminary Catalogs
Note Author: Steve Jones



Page Generated in: 0.488 seconds (using 109 queries).

Powered by Archon Version 3.21
Copyright ©2011 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign